Prolotherapy & PRP
What are prolotherapy and PRP?
- Prolotherapy injection therapy involves injection of a mild proliferant (usually dextrose 15-25%) into damaged areas including tendon, ligaments. The ensuing targeted inflammation promotes the body’s own healing mechanism by improving blood and nutrient supply. Enhancement and recruitment of cells including fibroblasts, myofibroblasts and endothelial cells lead to proliferation, regeneration and remodelling of cells in the target area into tissues that look and function similar to the original tissue. 80-85% of injuries respond very well to prolotherapy
- PRP injection therapy (PRP) is an advanced Regenerative Injection Therapy thechnique similar to prolotherapy. If prolotherapy is considered an indirect healing method, PRP allows for immediate concentration of platelets and the accompanying necessary growth factors at the site of injury that allows for a much stronger wound healing response. At SCIMEDICA, we use an advanced state-of-the-art second generation PRP method that allows for optimal concentration of platelets and stem cells, full activation and release of growth factors for maximal tissue regeneration.
Why are prolotherapy and PRP used?
Prolotherapy and PRP therapy are used for a number of conditions and injuries, including:
- Chronic tendon or joint pain
- Chronic back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, knee pain
- Frozen Shoulder
- Osteoarthritis (OA)
- Tendon injuries or tendonitis: Rotator cuff partial tears,
- Joint injuries: Adhesive Capsulitis, TMJ syndrome,
- Ligament injuries: ACL/PCL Sprain,
- Golfer’s elbow, Tennis elbow, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Recurrent sprained wrists or ankles
- Rib problems
- Degenerative Joint Diseases, Herniated Disc
- Spinal Stenosis
These advanced therapies can also be used for aesthetic applications as well, such as facial rejuvenation.
How is the second generation PRP injection therapy in SCIMEDICA unique?
The doctors at SCIMEDICA Health Group employ an advanced gradient centrifugation method that allows for optimal concentration of platelets and harvesting of stem cells. Optimal concentration of platelets is key as higher concentration does not necessary mean better healing and could actually be inhibiting. Furthermore, additional activation and processing steps produce concentration of growth factors up to 600% for optimal regeneration.
What are the advantages of using prolotherapy and PRP?
Prolotherapy and PRP injections for pain management have many benefits, including:
- Non-surgical, less invasive
- Little or no downtime
- Works with the body’s natural healing process
- Long term alternative solution to pain medication or anti-inflammatory injections (eg. corticosteroids)
- Can eliminate pain associated with joint damage
If you are interested in prolotherapy and PRP therapy with SCIMEDICA Health Group, please contact our naturopathic medicine clinic, serving the Greater Vancouver area. Call (604) 541-8811 to learn more or to make an appointment with one of our caring team members. We are excited to learn about your personal needs and goals, and to begin working with you toward a healthier future.